International dial code from USA: 011
International dial code from most of Europe: 00
United Kingdom country code: 44If you see a UK number like 020 7123 1234 and need to dial it from overseas:
- dial the access code
- then country code
- and remove the first 0 from the UK area code before dialing the rest of the code and number.
NOT: 011 44 020 7123 1234. You must remove the first zero from area code.
If you see a UK number written as +44 20 7123 1234, this is already in the approved international format. Simply replace the + with the access code and then dial all of the digits as shown.
For example: (from the US): 011 44 20 7123 1234
You will occasionally see a UK number incorrectly written like +44 (0)20 7123 1234 with a zero in brackets that should not be there. This written format is NOT recommended and will confuse some dialing software.
The number is NOT: 011 44 020 7123 1234. You must remove the first zero from the area code when you dial.
But remember you do need this 0 when calling another UK number from within the UK.
- Using Telephones in London
- London Telephones Introduction
- Recognizing London Telephone Numbers
- Payphones in London
- Calls from Your Hotel Room
- Prepaid Calling Cards
- Making International Calls from the UK
- Calling the UK from Overseas
- Cell Phones in London