The O2 Introduction:
The O2 opened on Sunday 24 June 2007. It's housed in the former Millennium Dome which was used for a special exhibition for the millennium but then closed after a year, as planned, and lay empty for years. AEG has transformed this white elephant to what is being hailed as Europe's finest entertainment destination.
The O2 Arena:
The centerpiece of the multi-million pound development is the state of the art arena for up to 20,000 fans that is already the highest grossing arena in the world. It hosted over 150 world-class music, entertainment and sport events in its first year of opening.
O2 Arena Comfort:
AEG, designed the arena with an emphasis on the overall comfort.
- Over 20 concession stands serving a variety of premium food from across the world
- 600 toilets ensuring less queuing for customers
- Pints of lager poured in 7 seconds and chilled to a perfect 4 degrees
- Widest arena seats in the industry, all with extra padding and drinks holders
- Perfect site lines throughout the entire arena
- Over 400 screens across the site
- Wide concourse areas
- Guests in the 96 suites can order food from the especially created online menu then served by a staff member dedicated solely to them
Up at The O2:
From 21 June 2012, visitors can climb up on the roof of The O2! Up at The O2 is a 90 minute experience 52m above ground level. Visitors start with a briefing and have to put on a climb suit, shoes and safety harness then climb in groups to the summit for great views. Find out more...
A Sporting Venue Too:
The O2 arena can be transformed from a concert venue into a world class sporting arena within hours and has proudly hosted major events such as Turbo Tennis, NBA Basketball, NHL Ice Hockey, and the Ultimate Fighting Championship. In July 2007 Amir Khan was successful in his World Championship bout against Willie Limond in the first sporting event at the O2 arena. The O2 arena will be hosting both the gymnastics and basketball finals in the 2012 Olympic Games.
More Entertainment Options:
Surrounding the arena within the 20-acre indoor site you'll find:
- indigO2, a smaller 2,350 capacity live music venue, with diverse acts such as Jools Holland, Timbaland, Joss Stone, and Natalie Cole
- The O2 Bubble which opened in November 2007 with the acclaimed Tutankhamun exhibition
- an 11 screen cinema complex which has held the UK Premiere of The Simpsons and High School Musical 2
- British Music Experience
- Entertainment Avenue, home of over 20 cafes, bars and restaurants
The London Piazza within The O2, next to the O2 Bubble, is a versatile area that staged an indoor beach in summer 2007 and The Ice Disco ice rink for winter 07-08.
Star in a Pop Video!
There are facilities for you to sing along to a famous song and be superimposed into the video! The video is them emailed to your mobile phone or email address for free. If you're feeling shy they have lots of props for dressing up as everyone can watch you dancing away. I think this is worth a trip to The O2 on its own!
The O2, Peninsula Square, London SE10 0DX
Nearest Tube Station: North Greenwich
There's also the London Cable Car / Emirates Air Line as a fun way to arrive - or to try if you arrive early for an event.
Use Journey Planner to plan your route by public transport.
Official Website: The O2 website