London can be a wonderful destination for a family vacation but it pays to do your research. Here are some great ways to have fun with the family in London without spending any money.
London has loads of annual events that kids would enjoy. Here are a few highlights throughout the year:
- January: New Year's Day Parade
- February: Pancake Day Races
- March: St. Patrick's Day celebrations
- April: Easter celebrations
- May: Museums and Galleries Month
- June: Trooping the Colour (Queen's Birthday Parade)
- July: Watch This Space
- August: Notting Hill Carnival Children's Day and Kid's Week
- September: Open House London
- October: Punch and Judy Festival in Covent Garden
- November: Bonfire Night and The Lord Mayor's Show
- December: Christmas fun
It can be a chore taking children shopping with you, particularly in a big city, as they can get easily bored. Hamleys is the most famous toy store in the world (I'm told). Hamleys was established in 1760 and has been a London landmark since the early 1800s. The Regent Street store has 7 floors packed full of the latest toys, games, and gifts. And there's an exclusive Narnia staircase too. Keep your little darlings stimulated by adding a few of the Top London Shops for Children into your day.
7. London Zoo
- Trafalgar Square's National Gallery always has free family activities, plus ArtStart - a multimedia system that allows you to search the collection and helps you plan your visit.
- In South Kensington you've got the big three: the V&A, the Natural History Museum, and the Science Museum.
- In east London, there's the Geffrye Museum which is always having children's special days, and the Museum of Childhood which is all about children.
- The Guards Museum has real military uniforms for the kids to try on and receive a photo and certificate.
- You can always check the London with Kids section of this website for even more ideas.