Cycling is a great way to get around London -really! If you're not convinced, read these facts from Transport for London:
Facts About Cycling in London
- You can cover 4 miles in an average of 22 minutes in Central London by bike, when it takes about 40 minutes by car.
- 8 bikes can be parked in the space occupied by one car.
- People in cars are exposed to three times more air pollution than pedestrians or cyclists.
- London has around 500 police on bikes and in Central London the ambulance service is supported by a fully equipped cycling paramedic team.
- Regular cycling halves the chances of heart disease, helps to lower blood pressure, and the resting heart rate.
- Cycling increases calorie consumption, raises the metabolic rate and can help you to lose weight.
Planning Your Journey
You can order cycle guides to the different areas of London from Transport for London or go to Journey Planner and click on more search options. Scroll down to the modes of transport and select cycling. Click on additional cycling options to add extra criteria such as how long you want to cycle for.