Lincoln's Inn Fields History
There has been a public space here since the 12th century but Lincoln's Inn Fields as we see it today was laid out by Inigo Jones, the famous architect, in the 17th century.
In Inigo Jones' time, the square was in the most fashionable area of London due to it's central location, close to the West End theaters. Nell Gwynne, the famous English actress, lived here at the time and her son, the Duke of St. Albans, was born here. (She was the mistress of King Charles II.)
The square was later enclosed in 1735 under an Act of Parliament and not reopened to the public again until its acquisition by London County Council in 1895.
Once A Home to Rough Sleepers
In 1992, temporary fencing was erected around Lincoln's Inn Fields to enforce a 'No Camping' byelaw. When all the rough sleepers had left, decorative railings were installed and the Fields reopened to the public in 1993.
Lincoln's Inn was established to educate lawyers, and continues to train barristers of England and Wales before they are called to the Bar.
Public are allowed to walk through the grounds of Lincoln's Inn, but the gardens are private.