Like everywhere else in the world, we love to celebrate New Year's Eve in London. Note, Trafalgar Square used to be the focal point for New Year's Eve celebrations but nothing happens there anymore although there will be a large screen to see the fireworks happening the South Bank.
The big event for New Year's Eve 2013/2014 is the free fireworks display at the London Eye on the South Bank. The display will start after Big Ben chimes midnight and will last for around 10 minutes. Its popularity means it gets very crowded and will be limited to 250,000 people in the viewing areas. The best spots to watch the fireworks are from Westminster Bridge and the north embankment of the River Thames, opposite the London Eye, but they will be visible from across central London, as well as being broadcast live on BBC1. This year will be a 'multi-sensory' display with fruit flavors and fruit smells from Bompas & Parr. Plus, Vodaphone are releasing an app (available from 30 December) to synchronize with the display and offer augmented reality. (Full details on the official site.)
Clubs and Bars
As you would expect, tickets for London clubs are more expensive on New Year's Eve. Also be aware pubs often charge an entrance fee to try and control the numbers. It is best to plan ahead and get tickets in advance. See the Top 10 London Nightclubs. There are more parties listed on Skiddle.com.
A luxury river cruise along the River Thames can be a romantic way to bring in the new year. Most boats plan to moor in sight of the London Eye fireworks at midnight so you will get the best view. Try these cruise companies:R.S.Hispaniola is a ship permanently moored on Victoria Embankment.
- Where can you dine with King Henry VIII in attendance? At the Medieval Banquet in St. Katherine's Dock, near the Tower of London. Enjoy a banquet with live entertainment from King Henry's court. Plus you get to dress up too! Find out more...
- Bella Italia has some specialty Italian options for NYE.
- Planet Hollywood has a 'Glamour & Glitz' NYE party with tickets from £50 per person for a party from 7pm to 3am.
- Gaucho Piccadilly has an Argentinian evening on offer with live tango and a four course menu priced at £185 per person. Find out more...
There's only one ice skating option for New Year's Eve 2013:
- The Natural History Museum Ice Rink is open till midnight on 31 December 2013.
Southbank Centre NYE Party
A Vintage New Year's Eve Party at Southbank Centre is an extravaganza of music, fireworks, dining & cocktails.
Viennese New Years Gala
The Barbican has had this tradition for over 25 years. They invite you to enjoy an evening of family favorites from the Strauss family and friends. There's a daytime gala for the family and evening gala too.
You'll find more ideas on londonist.com who also have an excellent round-up of NYE fun in town.
New Year's Eve Travel
Free tube travel is usually available from 11.45pm till 4.30am. Use Transport for London's Journey Planner to plan your route by public transport.
How long is there to go till London welcomes in the New Year? Keep an eye on this countdown site!