The Bottom Line
- Can learn an incredible amount about these British soldiers who protect the Queen
- Little long at 1 hour 45 minutes
- Documentary DVD that provide a real insight into this fascinating museum.
- Full history from the 17th century to today.
- Find out more about The Guards Museum.
- Visit their online shop at: www.guards-shop.com
- Available both as a DVD and a VHS tape in both PAL(UK) and NTSC(US) formats.
- See Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace DVD Review - also produced by The Guards Museum.
Guide Review - The Guards Museum... A Private Viewing - DVD Review
This fascinating DVD is presented by Bernard Holley, a well-known British actor, who has a private viewing of The Guards Museum with the curator, David Horn. (Note, David Horn has now retired.) David Horn's knowledge of the Foot Guard regiments of the Household Division is based on 27 years experience as a Guardsman in the Grenadiers, the first regiment of the Foot Guards.
The information is broken down into smaller sections which make the history much more manageable. You can learn how to identify each regiment of the Foot Guards and each regiment's origins. I'm certainly going to take notes of how to recognize each regiment for the next time I watch the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace.
I had visited The Guards Museum shortly before watching this DVD and this made me want to go book again as I realized how much I hadn't seen. I'll be back there again soon!