The Bottom Line
- Essential guide to this world famous ceremony
- See the background to the parade
- Hear from the men responsible
- Slightly long at 81 minutes
- Documentary DVD that provide a real insight into this daily ceremony.
- Explains why it is still relevant today.
- Find out more about The Guards Museum.
- Visit their online shop at: www.guards-shop.com.
- Available both as a DVD and a VHS tape in both PAL(UK) and NTSC(US) formats.
- See The Guards Museum... A Private Viewing - DVD Review - also produced by The Guards Museum.
- When is the Changing of the Guard?
Guide Review - Changing the Guard at Buckingham Palace - DVD Review
Millions of people have watched the Changing the Guards ceremony at Buckingham Palace, but few know what it's all about. I must confess I fell into the little known category until I was fortunate to discover this fascinating DVD.
The Guardsman outside Buckingham Palace, and other royal palaces, are soldiers in the Household Division - the seven regiments who protect the Sovereign. (The Guards Museum deals with the five Food Guards regiments, and The Household Cavalry Museum covers the other two regiments). This DVD has been produced by The Guards Museum and in particular David Horn, who was the curator until his recent retirement. David Horn's knowledge of the Foot Guard regiments of the Household Division is based on 27 years experience as a Guardsman in the Grenadiers, the first regiment of the Foot Guards.
This fascinating DVD is presented by Bernard Holley, a well-known British actor. He guides us through the history and interviews with the people responsible for this historic parade. It's the insight from these people which makes this resource unique. I'm certainly looking forward to going to see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace now I know more of what is going on!