1. Travel
The official logo for the London 2012 Olympics was launched yesterday and is receiving some terrible feedback. The animated version has had to be pulled as it caused epileptic seizures! Find out more from Epilepsy Action's statement. I'm hearing there's a petition with around 40,000 names to get rid of the logo so I think it's fair to say it's not popular. I think it looks like a bad heavy metal band's logo; especially with that typeface, yet the colors are very 1980s. And why can't they use a capital 'L' for London?

The Metro newspaper has devised the Invent a Logo game where you take the pieces of the official Olympic 2012 logo and make a new logo. I love the dog and two ducks version!

Let us know what you think of the new London 2012 branding by clicking on Comments below. Image: © London 2012 | London Travel Blog | Follow AboutLondon on Twitter
Comments
June 7, 2007 at 9:00 am
(1) Joshi says:

Jeez this is appallingly awful — harsh on the eyes, not easy to figure out, and that illiterate lowercase l. Back to the drawingboard designers and logo decision makers.

March 3, 2008 at 1:43 pm
(2) stefan says:

I can’t believe they are actually using this logo. I feel very bad for the person who made this logo as he is now being demolished. Perhaps may even lose his reputation. Horrible logo.

October 1, 2008 at 11:38 pm
(3) Logo Design Competition says:

The London Olympics Committee should have run a logo design contest for 300,000. The Committee would have got a much better design and saved 100,000!

Alec
DesignBay

June 4, 2009 at 9:19 pm
(4) Brendan says:

If you separate the numbers it spells ZION time to wake up people….

August 11, 2009 at 1:59 am
(5) laoshi says:

how much you say they were paid at rolff olins for designing it? 400,000? 100,000 per every part of this crazy puzzle? and it took one year to design it? this logo is utterly tasteless. and it also looks like two human figures with one figure (right one, crouching, with large head) is doing something to the left one (blowjob?)

November 23, 2009 at 5:05 pm
(6) charlie Wood says:

it looks like lisa simpson giving head……….

November 25, 2009 at 2:45 pm
(7) andy mcgirl says:

It looks awful, as someone said to me it looks like an inappropriate scene involving 2 Simpsons characters its horrendous

November 25, 2009 at 2:52 pm
(8) Ryan j says:

Just terrible… why do such large sums of money always seem to end up as rubbish?

December 5, 2009 at 12:47 am
(9) Chay says:

I think I agree with the facebook group. It kinda looks like Lisa Simpson doing something that no 8 year old should be doing…..

December 6, 2009 at 1:39 am
(10) anonymous says:
December 15, 2009 at 10:33 am
(11) Jamie Pitman says:

It looks like Lisa Simpson giving head to Bart Simpson

December 25, 2009 at 7:41 am
(12) xburner says:

yea looks like lisa simpson giving head to bart

January 15, 2010 at 7:04 am
(13) Maurice Horsburgh says:

What dysfunctional coke head thought this one up?
He/she needs to get out and about in the fresh air a lot more

January 15, 2010 at 10:28 pm
(14) Motoro says:

Have you seen the one that makes it look like Lisa Simpson giving her brother head?

February 13, 2010 at 10:39 pm
(15) Ray says:

Not the best logo, I agree, but what I see looks like the number 2012, Rockem Sockem Robots or a Boxing Venue Logo. More disturbing to me are all of the Simpsom comments. These “Gutter” responses are neither intelligent nor constructive.

February 14, 2010 at 6:30 pm
(16) J. says:

I think the reason for such a terrible logo stems from the IOC or whatever wanting to distance themselves as far from 2012 Mayan boogey man stuff as possible. You kinda have to take a second look to make it out.

February 23, 2010 at 12:49 am
(17) Florence says:

The London 2012 logo is a small attempt to represent a very large event. First of all put the numbers 2012 into the design. Secondly, capitalize London! All those “young people” the Olympic Committee is looking to attract, understand respect for the great city of London by capitalizing their name. What are they thinking accepting such a poor design? Where’s the petition to get rid of it. Sign me up.

March 27, 2010 at 5:47 pm
(18) TS says:

I know this is a bit of a late comment, however,I must say, from a design standpoint, this logo is actually very effective. What, exactly, it symbolizes is something to be discovered, however, its hard lines and rough shapes attract ample attention, as it has here. The use of a lowercase type instead of properly capitalizing the L in ‘london’ is a technique that changes the overall visual appeal the the word itself, and adds to the reformative and inventive shape.

Epilepsy is a concern, but can easily be circumvented. Animations can be made less intense, and can be easily adapted.

April 15, 2010 at 8:40 am
(19) fred finkle says:

thats retarded

April 18, 2010 at 5:58 am
(20) glenn says:

dah! it actually says zion

April 19, 2010 at 9:30 am
(21) CM says:

I think that this design is very abstract, very modern and futuristic. The lowercase ‘L’ is informal yet suits the modern feel of the logo. The designs are bright, inviting and exciting but as it seems even that is not enough to cheer the people of England up!

April 20, 2010 at 12:40 pm
(22) Allan Simps says:

It says ZION

May 11, 2010 at 1:04 pm
(23) Jamie says:

I dont think this causes seizures. I think it looks like someone giving head. Look closely the part with the olympic rings is a female head underneath is the body. the dash betweeen the bottom two figures is a male reproductive organ. and the two figures on the left make up the rest of the male. Please go back to the drawing boards and re-design, for the youth watching the olympics.

May 22, 2010 at 2:54 pm
(24) John Herron says:

Logo is absolutely horrendous. Looks like something left over from one of Mussolini’s or Hitler’s Fascist architectural fantasies

June 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm
(25) dammITworks says:

I agree with you all, but there’s still time for a better logo. I heard there was a petition. What happened? So where can I upload my design?

June 10, 2010 at 11:21 am
(26) Ellouise Marcher 14th says:

ew it’s sooo gross!!!!!!!!!!

lol they’re trying to “get dowwn wit the kidz”
lol lol lol hahahahahahaha

“yeah we’re kwl… think of the shitest rock band you know… their font…we use that!” hahaha no offence the unfortunate people who had a “brainwave” who came up with this but i think u might have to try again!!!!!

June 15, 2010 at 6:16 am
(27) Laura says:

What does is even mean!? it doesn’t make sense

June 15, 2010 at 7:41 pm
(28) Bism says:

it says 2012, there are no letters in the shapes. maybe if some people were more educated and could make out simple shapes there wouldn’t be such a problem.

June 20, 2010 at 7:15 pm
(29) Brian says:

Hey guys correct me if im wrong but dosnt it look like the nazi sign

June 21, 2010 at 7:19 am
(30) GD says:

Hahahaha, can’t you guys see that THIS is what he was going for? this dialogue? this criticism? Look at some of the other work he has done, the guy knows exactly what he’s doing. Its a statement, however you want to take it. Thats the point.

October 7, 2010 at 3:54 am
(31) chris says:

As well as saying 2012, is it a rough map of the British Isles?

October 25, 2010 at 1:43 am
(32) Aiden says:

It Looks like lisa simpson giving bart simpson head! ahaha that is disgusting!!!

November 10, 2010 at 11:37 pm
(33) Steve Constable says:

The logo is absolutely horrendous firstly. Secondly 400,000 pounds may seem like a lot of money to spend on a logo but the designers of the simple MOBIL oil logo were paid 3 million for their simple artistic contribution to the corporate world. And all they did was put a red letter ‘o’ in the middle of blue Helvetica letters. On the flip side, Nike paid only $35 for its famous swoosh logo. Which really goes to show that commerical art is a truly up and down field financially speaking. What you are paid all depends on the generosity (and pockets) of the client involved. How do you convince a client to pay more? Well, often you can’t.

Anyway, I studied commerical art in school at Indiana University Bloomington and have a trained eye for graphic and logo design (plus I have worked 11 years in the advertising industry after school). I feel the odd, hard to read, boxy letter type of the London 2012 olympic games logo does evoke an 80s MTV feel which is far from the subject matter at hand (the colors are also screaming ((in a bad way)) and hard on the eyes). If you want to see a great Olympic logo just look at the logo Chicago picked for its failed bid – now that’s a pretty logo. Smiles.

March 11, 2011 at 12:52 pm
(34) david says:

its clearly say ZION.

August 1, 2011 at 2:47 am
(35) john kedward says:

The logo is truely appalling and it’s a complete missed opportunity to display the artistic talent we have in this country. Just shows you what idiots we have as part of the establishment

September 10, 2011 at 8:39 pm
(36) Jose says:

It is a horrible logo. It evokes anger at first sight and I couldn’t tell it was 2012 until I read on. Really, really bad. Fire whoever hired that designer; that is an insult to all other real graphics designers.

December 13, 2011 at 7:51 am
(37) ford says:

I love it. It reminds me british flag! And you can spell 2012,Lion,Zion also sport, war, sex, drugs and alcohol.

May 12, 2012 at 10:08 pm
(38) Geoff says:

No matter what you do there will be someone who thinks you are wrong. Because they think you are wrong, they think you should change whatever you did, to mollify those who disagree.

If the London olympic committee decides to change the logo, no matter what change they make there will be another set of opinionated people who will disagree. Those people will then say it should be changed again, because they don’t like it.

People are entitled to have their opinions if they want. But one opinion is no more valuable than any other opinion.